  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#41 GLAKO-FAHN   User is offline

  • vandal, first grade
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 10-November 02
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 January 2007 - 5:56 AM

the chemical brothers showed me music
He put on a turn-down collar, a black bow, and wore his Sunday tail-coat. As such, he looked spruce, and what his clothes would not do, his instinct for making the most of his good looks would.

#42 whirlygirl   User is offline

  • dork
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Joined: 06-November 02
  • Locationin the valley of the acid clowns

Posted 07 January 2007 - 6:09 AM

Csar, I believe it's Flaming_Dead that had that quote in his sig!! :)

soundwarrior, you've got a cool mommy!! I think it's sweet and touching. It's great you can reach out to her through music and that she is open minded. She probably associates the Chems with you, so after your visits she still has the music to look back on.

My son's a little convert... or I've been good at brainwashing him, hahaha. Anyway, he became aware of who the Chems were before he could string together sentences and pronounce words like 'psychedelic'.

I don't know if this qualifies as a "why I like the Chems", but I think about this and I feel... sort of tender toward the Chems. I don't know if I ever posted this here, but it's an email I wrote to the straggling listees from the old Chemical Brothers mailing list after vmg shut it down. (I used to save random stories and emails and I hung onto this one). I titled it "my son's best friend is ed". It's long, and yeah it's a "kid story" but it's special to me:

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:49:11 -0800 (PST)

From: "Mia Hill" Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

Subject: my son's best friend is ed

To: "Chemical Harem"

Just thought I'd share a little story about my little

boy - perhaps boring you to tears in the process, but

I couldn't pass it up. It's sort of on-topic, so here

goes.

My son (who's 3 and a half now) and I were running

around town today, doing the usual Monday grocery

shopping. Whenever my son is in the car with me, Dig

Your Own Hole is permanently fixed in the cd player.

It seems that The Private Psychadelic Reel is the only

thing that can tame the er... wild beast. And like

most kids his age, he's compulsive and has to listen

to that particular song over and over and over and

over and... Since Connor has a little trouble with

pronouncing "psychadelic" he just simply calls the

song "My Blue Song" instead - and usually the minute

we get into the car he immediately demands "Put my

Blue Song on!"

So we're driving, listening to TPPR of course, and

Connor is bobbing his head as we're scooting along the

road. He's trying his damndest to immitate the sonic

tweets and tinkly sounding do-dads in the song and he

stops and says, "Mommy, who made my Blue Song?"

"The Chemical Brothers," I reply, making sure I

pronounced every thing really slowly and emphasizing

the consonant sounds. (He's still learning how to

speak, ya know)

"Oh," he says. "The Chmcl Brthrs" he says in garbled

toddler-speak. "Who they?" he asks.

"Uh..." I said, "uh... Tom and Ed."

"Tom n' Ed" my son says, just loud enough to hear over

the music which gave me a giggle.

"Mommy?" he asks. " TomnEd made my Blue Song?"

"Yes, Connor, they made your Blue Song" I said

reassuringly.

And so, as most conversations go with toddlers, he

asks again and again, "Mommy, who made my Blue Song?"

and I answer him again and again, quickly going bored

with saying 'Tom and Ed' over and over and over and

over and...

Finally, as we're pulling into the garage Connor says,

"Mommy..." And I'm thinking 'if he asks me who wrote

his Blue Song one more time I'm going to scream.' But

he doesn't. "Mommy, Ed is my best friend. He made my

Blue Song."

No use telling trying to explain that Tom had

something to do with it too because that was way

beyond his comprehension. But damn, I think I have a

pretty cool kid. ;)

Mia

=====

"i'm going nowhere

nowhere is where i want to be

i'm good for nothing

nothing is good enough for me"

http://shopping.yahoo.com
be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

#43 TheFlamingDead_   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 30-October 04

Posted 07 January 2007 - 6:14 AM

Csar Escribi�:

Nice! A real soundwarrior keeps trying ;-) . . . Someone on here has a phrase beneath his sig, something like this "Have you anyone converted to chemicalism today?"

Mmmhmm

;-)

#44 soundwarrior   User is offline

  • Brother
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 12-December 06

Posted 07 January 2007 - 4:59 PM

whirly, that was a sweet story. Being influenced by the Chem's music in such a early age will probably make Connor a great fan on the future. ;-)

#45 Jeanie   User is offline

  • JeanieBeanie!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-March 04
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 07 January 2007 - 9:16 PM

Awww Whirly! I read that story before , and everytime i read it it makes me so warm and fuzzy inside. That is so cute , it really is a beautifull little story and Connor is a Chemical Ledgend !

#46 Jeanie   User is offline

  • JeanieBeanie!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-March 04
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 07 January 2007 - 9:22 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I JUST LOVE THAT STORY WHIRLY!

It's just so frigging cute!

I hope Tom and Ed read this thread.

When they are ever down , they can read this thread with all this heartwarming stories and maybe feel a bit better !

#47 Slipvin   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 18-January 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:47 AM

whirlygirl Escribi�:

"The Chemical Brothers"

"Tom n' Ed"

http://download.yous...F538EB04C8ABD9F 8)

#48 Csar   User is offline

  • Did ya synth just burp?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 14-February 04
  • LocationA planet, fucked up by mankind

Posted 08 January 2007 - 1:37 AM

Good one. Selfmade?

Found that while searching for tomanded -> http://profile.myspa...iendid=96845465
E(argasm) = m(usic) x c(hemicals)²

#49 Slipvin   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 18-January 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 1:57 AM

Csar Escribi�:

Good one. Selfmade?

Found that while searching for tomanded -> http://profile.myspa...iendid=96845465

Yeah. Was fucking around with my Star Guitar generic radio id and Believe. Took me about half an hour to come up with this.

  • Group: Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

DELETED

#51 JacksRevenge   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 21-January 04

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

I can write pages on this topic. I love a lot of music, but associate few bands with a lot of very important parts of my life. I've been totally alone at times in life and lost, and music has actually driven me through the shit and been my friend. Coming back to music, other than Stratovarius and Maiden who've given me a lot of strength with their melodies and positive lyrics ( a lot of maiden and all of strato), Floyd and the Chems have been my godfathers. I love a lot of music, but I don't think anyone ever can come close to these two god bands - the music they make is much bigger than just the songs n melodies.

I posted this earlier on the holiday chemicals thread bout my introduction to the Chems. There's been no lookin back since. :)

JacksRevenge Escribi�:

Associate almost all my music (all the good one) with something or the other - person, event, a feeling.

This one might be long, but it's pretty close to my heart -

My strongest Chemical memory is Come With Us. I got into electronic music very late - was a metal and rock n roll lad n this was back in '01 when I got exposed to electronic music for a coupla months through trance. I have to admit it was completely new and since those were the acid binging days we had fun with trance too.

Then a few months down the line, I was in delhi for a vacation, and we did this big score, n were lookin for a place to trip all day, finally found out my best friend's (who was back here in blr at school) folks were out of the city and his house was free, 5 of us including my girl landed up there, it's like a duplex house, we were all sittin after droppin in the living room downstairs listenin to trance and the trip was just not kickin in. All of us were fuck disappointed. Then somewhere I didn't notice Shekhoo (another best bud) sneak out of the room, and after bout 10 mins I see him signalling me from the 1st floor (my best friend's room) to come up - I walked up alone, and enter, and I see the room's all dark with candles all over in strategic positions, n he put in this cd FULL BLAST and told me - bro if THIS doesnt work, nothing will tonight.

Then, imagine. a simple jerk like me who had NO clue of electronic music outside of trance suddenly being exposed to the opening bars of COMMMAA WITTHHTHTHHHAUSUSUSUUSSSS full blast on a high dose of lsd !!! The whole fuckin room TOOK OFF like a fuckin spaceship with that intro, i really had to hold myself down to the floor, I get goosebumps even now when I hear the opening of the disc now and straightaway connect back to that symbolic night.

I can never thank Shekhoo for that brilliant night - introducing me to the Chems, and HOW.

Of course the rest of the night was full on, n the sid was very very potent.

Ah, Shekhoo also introduced me to Surrender later on an e trip, and man, did we get FUCKED that night. We called it the E album for a long time.

Will be back. :D
<The C, the H, the E, the M, the I, the C, the A, the L, the brothers! THE BROTHERS!>

#52 Jeanie   User is offline

  • JeanieBeanie!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-March 04
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

Jack that is SUCH a wicked story!

I never took LSD , so i cant relate to that , but it must have been amazing. It's great how when you listen to that music later on in life , you cans till get that same powefull feeling.

I remember the first time I hard the Chems on E - It was at Whirly's and Stash house after we went clubbing in Hollywood , and we were watching some live footage. I just remember the feeling that i had , an AMAZING feeling , being there with my Chemical Friends and being on E for the first time - and seeing and hearing that lie footage. I was hypnotized by the telly!

#53 JacksRevenge   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 21-January 04

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Hehe, I always say this (don't take it too seriously) - u haven't heard Floyd or the Chems till u've heard them on acid! :D

Haha! That apart, yes, the Chems are an insane trip on sid.

Infact I find a very common parallel between the Chems n Floyd (early stuff) - they'r designed like a sid trip - the whole graph - take off - peak - insanity at peak - slow nice comedown - almost all albums are like that from both the bands, i call it the sid graph format.

Infact I've got pretty mindfucked by a lot of Chems on sid - something that cant happen on E - E's too synthetic a high - it's manufactured happiness - u can't really go too wrong with e - but on sid u can get really fucked, but again comin back to the sid graph format - however bad a sid trip the comedown is always fuckin beautiful, u've always learnt something, confronted some demons u were sweepin under the carpet in reality. I have another crazy memory of being in Kodi - the most beautiful hills in south india - i was there with some losers - the whole thing wasn't really meant too happen - it was just my greed for trippin n being in Kodi that I made it happen, I ingested a big quantity and just when the trip kicked in my girlfriend (we were having a lot of family problems) called me from very far away and gave me a very very fucked up news - we were separated for 6 months after that, but that day, Come with Us just raped me inside out - never said it was sunshine, but u took it all the time. ;)
<The C, the H, the E, the M, the I, the C, the A, the L, the brothers! THE BROTHERS!>

#54 woolv   User is offline

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 02-October 06

Posted 08 January 2007 - 1:02 PM

Foxboy Escribi�:

I like the chemical brothers cause.. well, first of all i love their music like, but they also opened a musical gateway for me and through the chemical brothers i learnt to love electronica music, not only that but other kinds of music. I was a narrowminded grunge kid before that.

I second that!!

#55 Csar   User is offline

  • Did ya synth just burp?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 14-February 04
  • LocationA planet, fucked up by mankind

Posted 08 January 2007 - 3:35 PM

Slipvin Escribi�:

Csar Escribi�:

Good one. Selfmade?

Found that while searching for tomanded -> http://profile.myspa...iendid=96845465

Yeah. Was fucking around with my Star Guitar generic radio id and Believe. Took me about half an hour to come up with this.

What's this Star guitar generic ID you and anType was talking about? Are you gonna release something?
E(argasm) = m(usic) x c(hemicals)²

#56 Slipvin   User is offline

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 18-January 05

Posted 08 January 2007 - 8:05 PM

Csar Escribi�:

Slipvin Escribi�:

Csar Escribi�:

Good one. Selfmade?

Found that while searching for tomanded -> http://profile.myspa...iendid=96845465

Yeah. Was fucking around with my Star Guitar generic radio id and Believe. Took me about half an hour to come up with this.

What's this Star guitar generic ID you and anType was talking about? Are you gonna release something?

It's something I picked up at the cd & vinyl exchange.

It's basically an intro by The Chems, followed bij the radio edit of Star Guitar.

  • Group: Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 2:50 AM

DELETED

#58 Jeanie   User is offline

  • JeanieBeanie!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-March 04
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 13 January 2007 - 2:51 AM

ANd i did it again I'm sorry!

#59 Jeanie   User is offline

  • JeanieBeanie!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 01-March 04
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 13 January 2007 - 3:17 AM

Ooooh and what i also wanted to say is :

It's 3 am and i should be in bed! Haha nah that wasn't it.

I decided ( or I didn't decide that but my feelings did ) that The Test is my favorite Chems song and therefor my all time favorite song ( At this moment ).

That song..........Oh man....what can i say to explain in words the feeling this song gives me. There are no words to ever explain it ... It's like ... trying to understand the universe you know. When you think about space being endless and the mindfuck that gives you. I have the same when i listen to this song. I think " How on earth can people make such a piece of music! I dont understand it! "And i feel a bit crazy inside because i really cannot understand that people made a piece of music that seemed to be made for me. This song - every sound in it , every sentence , every word , every layer , every color in it , its all so Me. Yeah i know i'm not making much sense but i just feel like i have to share it!

Like , that song , the message it gives me ( cause that is different for everybody ) is just...it seriously is the soundtrack to my life - or at least a big and very important part in my life. If i would meet somebody and that person wants to get to know me in 7 minutes and 46 seconds than i would play that person The Test.

Ive heard this song at so many amazing moments in my life - and even when i listen to it just in my bedroom it makes me think of something that happend and the song applies to that moment.

It's so much more than " Did i pass the Acid Test " Too me this song is about being alive , about living life to the maximum in every possible way , this song is how i live and about how i want to live , this song tells me "Regret the things you havent done rather than the things you did"

Bwah i could go on and on and half of you will think i am on drugs or whatever but i'm not - i just cannot explain how much this song feels like the music-version of me , of my life.

The sentence " I'm seeing waves breaking forms on my horizon - lord i'm shining....."That sentence 8O That sentence means so much to me.

Thats why i'm getting it tattood on my foot in July or August when i am in California with Mips , WHirly and Stash.

Ive been thinking about this for a long time ( 2 years ) and i want to do it RIGHT NOW but i'm giving myself half a year more to fully reconsider it.

I know some people think it's silly to get a tattoo of youre fave band - but it's not that at all. It's so much more than that ! First of all it's not " I LOVE CHEMS " tatood on my lower back - Yes , the sentence is from my favorite Chems song - And the Chems DO mean the world to me ebcause their music is a big part of my life - but that song , and that sentence , represents such a big part of my life , it represents NOW , and altho NOW is fucking hard sometimes i love it - i am alive and i love to live - and i feel like i'm shining, I really do. And even if in 10 years time i regret my tattoo - its how i was when i was 21 so it means its how i still am when i'm 30. People change but youre history never does. Getting this tattoo marks a certain period in my life - and it's also marking the END of a period of my life and the beginning of a new one , stopping modelling and all....

So , i wanted you all to be the first to know. My mum doesn't even know because she would not like it ( Altho my mum is wicked and i have total freedom to do whatever i want ) but it's just SO hard to explain the motivation behing my tatoo to people who dont have the same connection to music as i do.

So - thats the story. I cant wait - i feel like it's a refelction of me , of my life , of my personality , and i love me , and my life and my personality , and i love people too , so u know , this might not make sense to anybody but i just wanted to write it down.

Okay i'm gonna press submit now before i change my mind - i dont want people to think i'm a lunatic X-D

#60 soundwarrior   User is offline

  • Brother
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Joined: 12-December 06

Posted 13 January 2007 - 6:17 AM

Jeanie, you're absolutely NOT a lunatic, you're a person that live your life in such an intense and passionate way, and that's amazing!

That phrase from The Test you mentioned is really awesome, it's the climax of the song, and I really like it too. I think it's so cool you're thinking about tattooing it, it's such a powerful statement about the way you see life.

I really enjoyed reading your post, the phrase "Regret the things you havent done rather than the things you did" really touched me! So, thanks so much for posting it! :D

  • 4 Pages
  • +
  • 1
  • 2